The Native Regional Corporations
|The 1971 Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act of 1971 titled land to Alaska Natives and created corporations to support Alaska Natives economically.
Alaska Natives are economic leaders in the State today.
Two class periods
Cultures Unit Narrative
- Ask the students to explore the web sites of some of the Alaska Native Corporations. These web sites tend to be extensive and students will need to use the site maps. Students should try to find information and take notes about the following: Purpose/Mission/Goal Statements, Subsidiaries, Foundations and Membership policies.
- Ahtna Regional Corporation
- Aleut Regional Corporation
- Arctic Slope Regional Corporation
- Bering Straits Native Corporation
- Bristol Bay Native Corporation
- Calista Corporation
- Chugach Alaska Corporation
- Cook Inlet Regional Incorporated
- Doyon Limited
- Koniag Regional Corporation
- Northwest Alaska Native Corporation
- Sealaska Regional Corporation
- Discuss the work of the Alaska Native Corporations focusing on economic activities, including subsidiaries, e.g., types of businesses, location, number of people employed, revenues generated, etc.; the purpose, mission, vision, and goal statements; the work of the foundations. Ask students to consider: How are ethics being integrated into the corporate structure? How are traditional knowledge and culture being integrated? How are the corporations assuming responsibility for the 'group' as well as for the individual? How are the corporations a blend of the traditional and the modern? How do people become members (shareholders) of a corporation? What problems might be associated with membership restrictions (exclusion of today's young people, for example)?
History: A, B, C, D
Culture: A, B, C, D
AK History: AH. CPD 6, AH. CC 5
||Web links have been read and reflected upon. Understanding of the concepts is clear from discussion comments and questions. Student is actively engaged in class discussion, listens to the comments of others, and exhibits good understanding of the readings.
||Student has read assigned material and participates in class discussion.
||Student has reviewed some of the web material and has limited involvement in class discussion.
||The web sites have not been read and there is no participation in class discussion.
View this page as an Adobe PDF file