A New State Seal
|The enduring understandings related to this lesson include those from each of the six units students have studied.
Five class periods
- All six unit narratives
- Art supplies including drawing pencils
- Distribute to the class the State Seal of Alaska.
- Discuss the representation of the seal. Look at other state seals on the web. What is the purpose of a State seal? What does it represent? Is this a truthful representation of the State of Alaska?
- In small groups, students will research and write a paper for one of the major periods of Alaska history:
- Prior to European contact
- Russia's Colony
- America's Territory
- Statehood to present day
- Each paper must include political, economic, social, and cultural issues that best represent that period of history.
- Each group will develop a design element to represent the major historical era they have researched.
- A composite design, representing the four eras will be created.
- Students will present their findings to their state Representatives and Senators and lobby for changes to the current State Seal of Alaska.
History: A, B, C, D
Government: C, E
AK History: AH. CC 5
||Not only are issues related to the question clearly explained, the work indicates a sophisticated understanding and insightful view of the historical era studied.
||Issues are clearly explained and include pertinent data. There is clear understanding of the historical era studied.
||Writing is generalized and lacks substance. There may be significant errors.
||A good visual representation of the era studied. Reflects political, economic, social and cultural issues of the times. Unique use of visual arts. Attractive and well balanced.
||Represents the era studied with political, economic, social and cultural issues considered. Is well balanced and attractive.
||Represents era studied but may lack clear issues of the era studied. May need organization.
||Persuasive, shows a rich appreciation for the era discussed. Poised, polished delivery.
||Captures the audience with information and visual content of research. Good delivery techniques.
||Fails to capture interest of the audience. Lack-luster presentation.
View this page as an Adobe PDF file